[Insert something related to comics and animation here to make it look like a standard anime blog post]
Yeah, yeah I know I should be flipping through my electromagnetics textbook. I know I should be indulging in calculus equations. But hey, it’s the last episode of one of the best Macross series ever made, so what gives? Term tests come after potentially great anime episodes anytime, like that Fabulous episode of Xam’d.
Alas, watching the last episode of Macross Frontier was like having someone suddenly swing a punch into your belly right after treating you to an expensive Brazilian BBQ meal.
Let’s analyse what kind of damage the last episode has done to the image of the series.
1. Alto expected that he’d be shot so he jumped out of his Valkyrie before Mr. Siscon shot him in the ass. So why not pilot away from the laser trajectory eh? Maybe it is because Frontier is losing so much weaponry that he can afford to sacrifice his plane for a deus ex machina in the last episode. Oh wait, they sent the asshole a second Valkyrie right after he just crash and burned his previous one. Seriously, being the harem lead sandwiched between two war-changing singers really gives you all the privileges you need.
2. Alto sees through the eyes of big fat Ranka and realises that the short mental imprint of some megazord is actually a Battle-form of another Macross colony. So how did he manage to peek through the huge Ranka? I have no idea. Must be that high-tech earring Sheryl gave him that can somehow transcend time and space. If I was the President of Frontier, I’d just play the ‘we-all-live-in-the-yellow-submarine’ song all day long into the jewel and direct it at the Vajra. That’d have made war so much more simpler.
3. So Queen of the universe got outwitted by songs and bug swarms easily. You know that if you’re holding on to some sort of lame weapon of mass disruption, you should take good care of it, not place it in a stupid neon cage that the captivated prisoner breaks free with just a swing of her arms. This is uber space age man. Use some high-voltage lightning cages or laser rays for stupid’s sake. In the case whereby rescuers appear, at least have some defence? Alto striding into the prison cell and flying out without his Valkyrie was the most unforgivable crap that appeared in the episode.
4. Hi guys, we blew a bomb of cash on the entire series on songs and production. Now we’re almost bankrupt and the last episode is here, what should we do? Oh yeah, let’s remix the damn songs! Afterall, what’s more powerful than a bunch of powerful songs? A damn remix of course! No and wtf. I was expecting them to save one good song for the last episode. Yeah yeah, the number of songs in the series is already too good to be true, but hello, a song for a the last episode? Not to mention that the remix was one of the worst I’ve ever heard. It makes IOSYS sound awesome.
5. The Vajra sing with their belly. No they do not sing, and they never did sing. That song right at the end of the episode? That is called plagiarism in its rawest bug form. You know what’s the next thing that they use their belly for? Digest humans.
6. We are different and alone, therefore we stick together and cooperate to make life better. Such is life. Yeah, the Vajra were clueless about our species so in an effort to save us from sick, sick variety, they decided to shoot lasers at us as a greeting, and see if we would respond in kind by firing nukes on them. We all understand war really well. It made as much sense as the Pythagoras Theorem. Poor Michel, I feel sad for his forced death.
7. A bunch of songs spurred tonnes of Vajra troops to protect our Frontier island from harm via sacrificial means. I hope the Vajra will understand that if a huge laser was ever fired upon their homeland, there won’t be a tonne of Valkyries standing vigilantly in the way of the laser. But who cares, they’re fast-spawning zerglings without stim-packs. We’re more important.
8. The bugs sing with their belly, so shoot the head thanks. Yeah, Ranka probably forgot that Vajra had to somehow, you know, think. Never mind that, Ranka says, maybe we singers have no brains! Pew pew pew, off the head goes. The brainless Vajra are now happy that we’ll be taking over their motherland and spewing toxic waste gases into their atmosphere very soon.
9. Alto, in his urgency to have a threesome with his harem, sends his brand new Valkyrie to its explosive doom while giving it a last, cool salute. Dude.
This episode really ticked me off as I just purchased the finale volume of MX0 and was greeted by a typical Yasuhiro Kano ball-busting move. Let’s just say it made me feel stupid for actually feeling for the characters throughout the entire 10 volumes. The same frequency struck me as I watched episode 25 of Macross Frontier. But no fear, there’ll be an upcoming Macross F movie/OVA! Meh.
As for the upcoming new season, I’m actually quite surprised at how many of my presently-collecting manga series are turning into anime series. I’d probably be catching only a few of the shows, namely Kurobarrel, Kemeko and maaaaaybe Casshern(Hello Madhouse!).
What about CLANNAD? Let’s just say I outgrew it. I shall leave a link to DM’s post on the episode and leech extra pageviews from trackbacks without any constructive feedback on his post.