I got my computer back but with so much new hardware, I’m in a state of mild disorientation. While I re-familiarise myself with the best friend, here’s a simple wishlist on what I’ll like to see happen in anime, hopefully in the near future.
1. Real wars. Anime has always created its own wars, such as the One Year War. What I would like to see is them animating real historical battles but with Band of Brother style small section combat instead. These would be full of the raw, bloody scenes of battle rather than the usual pink smoke. The biggest obstacle to this would be the political climate in Japan. WW2 is probably a no-go, due to their personal involvement and resultant desire to embellish their side’s heroics. What I would like is an anime version of something such as Enemy at the Gates, which is more or less hsa view points from both sides, albeit not too factually accurate. It’s better to go without bishoujo too. Actually, why not just do a live-action? Because I like anime that’s why.
War is evil but it makes for good TV.
2. Another season of Yomigaeru Sora: Rescue Wings. By far the most underrated show at least in the English community, RW is so fantastic it deserves a second season. Far more than Amaenaidayo, Prince of Tenns, Mar and other undeserving crap.
3. Range Murata
to work with Kyo-Ani for pure pwnage. Kyo-Ani has proved with Full Metal Panic: TSR that it can handle sci-fi action. I’m sure their works can be improved by the creatively beautiful designs of Murata. Murata’s fasahion designs tend to require a lot of detail to animate and Kyo-Ani with their super-zealous attention to details seems just like a perfect outlet for his talents.
4. Hanazawa Kana to take more female lead roles. She currently has only two anime roles, Kaminagi Ryoko in Zegapain and Punie’s sister Potaru in Daihou Tonge. She has the most refreshing and stress-alleviating voice I’ve ever heard. We definitely need more Kana. This youngster who’s 17, is the next big thing! Move along now, Hirano Aya.
5. Couples should get together early and stay together. Most anime have an ending where the two get togetheri in the end but as everyone (maybe except AVG otaku) knows, maintaining a relationship is far more difficult than the actual getting together. The Futari Ecchi manga is actually quite a good look at how couples can make marriage bearable. I’ve seen enough shows like Suzuka, where they run around in circles for 26 episodes before kissing. Scifi shows like Zegapain, Gunbuster and Starship Operators kill off their romances with deaths for the lesser character in the relationship just to make the hero/heroine more tragic. Perhaps it’s time for some happiness throughout the show.
6. More radical animation and design styles. For example, the static patterns used in Gankutsuou, the whiteout effect for Bokura ga Ita, the manga style of FLCL. Such styles may be disapproved of by some who prefer familiarity, but I very much enjoy this diversity and uniqueness.
7. Gatekeepers 1985 to be made into an OVA. This is the missing chapter of the GK saga, inaccessible to most non-Japanese fans. And with the current novel-to-anime conversion craze, this is entirely feasible. With Ukiya Shun and Kageyama Reiji’s Gate powers fully developed, and the Invader bosses going all out, this can be quite the Diebuster-scale action epic.
Konoe Kaoru 4tw!
I fangirl Ukiya.
8. Sports anime should cut out the excessive special moves, pretty boys and screaming fangirls. One pretty boy is acceptable. But every single sportsman being one is not. I’ll like to see more backstory, tactics and losing. Perhaps we could even have female players instead of always going bishounen but still keeping the gritty, sweaty feel of sports.
PoT of crap.
9. Toei to close down and donate all their money and resources to a more worthy studio. God these guys really suck. Just look at their recent works – Xenosaga the Animation, Air Gear, etc. They did do One Piece and Kamisama Kazoku so it shows they have some ability. But not that much.
10. More action. Let’s just have more mecha, more fighting, more vehicular mad chases, more guns and more deaths. Nothing beats good action. Scrap all the Chokotto Sisters and Tonaguras and make more Coyotes, 08th MS Teams.